Thursday, November 25, 2010

Travel Blog 8 - XI'AN

* those written in bold and/or italic letters were taken from Nnylanna's travel diary and i wrote the rest

* this ---> [::] <--- data-blogger-escaped-means="" data-blogger-escaped-strong="">that paragraph(only!) was researched from the net

19 October2008

[::] Xi’an is the capital of the Shaanxi province in the People's Republic of China, the city has more than 3,100 years of history, and was known as Chang'an . As one of the oldest cities in Chinese history, Xi'an is one of the Four Great Ancient Capitals of China because it has been the capital (under various names) of some of the most important dynasties in Chinese history, including the Zhou, Qin, Han, the Sui, and Tang dynasties.

Arrived in Xian around 9pm and Adonis(not a very chinese name) our tour guide was already there to pick us up. He took us to our hotel, Mercure On Renmin Square, beautiful and our room was a mini suite as well.



20October2008
Today, we headed off to see the Neolithic Ban Po Village(6000yrs BC). Adonis decided to show this to us first so that we can understand why the Qin Dynasty emperor had a terracotta warrior army buried on his tomb. The BanPo men has shown us the start of early civilization(weapons, earthwares, hunting, building a house) way before Christ was born. They even use mathematics during this time.


…didn’t we also go to a place where they reproduce those terracotta army using the same technique and the same materials that were used at that time? I know this for a fact ‘coz I have pictures to prove it…haha..

Next stop was the world famous TERRACOTTA WARRIORS. 3 things why I wanted to go to China, The Great Wall, The Forbidden City, and The Terracotta Warriors. IMPRESSIVE. From the gate to the beautiful garden and scenery.
…I have heard about this archaeological find years ago but I have to admit that my knowledge of its significance was very limited. Another lesson that i've learned from going to these historical places is to do some research first for better understanding and appreciation. As we were approaching that vast complex, I have to admit that I was excitedly preparing myself for something awesome and I was not disappointed…




leading up to Pit 1, 2, and 3, it was HUGE, a whole infantry of army from Archer, to Cavalry, to Army, and Officers, was created to accompany the founder of the Qin Dynasty to his next life. It was discovered by a local farmer(he was there signing authographs) while digging for a water well in the 70’s. he reported it to the local police and the rest was history.
…im now kicking myself for not asking for that farmer’s autograph or at least taken a photo of him. What was I thinking at that time? I was in a hurry to see a short video presentation about Emperor Qin and his “army” on the same building. There was just too many people and im not too fond of crowds. There are currently 3 pits that has been excavated and more than 10,000 figures has been restored so far BUT majority are still buried in the pits. Which only means, that the task ahead for the archaeologist are tremendous and seems to have no end, which im sure is just the way they want it. I could go on and on about the details of what we saw but there’s just too much to tell that im afraid we’ll loose each other in the process. I would strongly recommend and suggest reading up on this subject or watch the special documentary done by National Geographic, its an excellent read and a “must” watch.



Im just a bit disappointed that the actual tomb of the emperor is not on show. I wonder why? (could this be a hoax?) anyways, Adonis said the tomb of the empress hasn’t been touched as well.
…for crying out loud sis, will you stop the conspiracy “hoax” theory already. Hundreds of pieces from these pits has been exhibited in some of the most respected and renowned museum and im positive that it has come under the scrutinity of the most sceptical western archeaologists then and now. So far, nobody of repute has questioned its authenticity. So as far as that intrigue is concerned, its just the figment of the imagination of some people driven by their own agenda, whatever that might be, so, …let it rest. As for Emperor Qin’s actual tomb, they know its exact location, Mount Li(Lishan).

[::] ancient chinese texts reveal that the tomb is under an earthen pyramid 76 meters tall and nearly 350 square meters. It was written that the First Emperor was buried with palaces, scenic towers, officials, valuable utensils and "wonderful objects," with 100 rivers fashioned in mercury and above this heavenly bodies below which he wrote were "the features of the earth." Recent scientific work at the site has shown high levels of mercury in the soil on and around Mount Lishan. The tomb remains unopened, in the hope that it will remain intact. Archeologists are afraid that if they do excavate the tomb, they might damage some of the valuables buried with emperor Qin Shi Huang. Only a portion of the site is presently excavated, and photos and video recordings are prohibited in some areas of the viewing. Only few foreigners, such as Queen Elizabeth II, have been permitted to walk through the pits, side by side to the army.

…here’s a photo of Mount Lishan and Emperor Qin Shi Huang Di's underground Mausoleum Mound. This is the stairway up the mound. The Terracotta Warriors and Horses Museum is about 1 mile from here. im trying to imagine what's inside this mound and REALLY, it blows my mind...

Tonight we are heading off to a dumpling dinner and a Tang Dynasty Music and Dance show. My friend Laraine was so impressed with it that im really looking forward to seeing this. Adonis our tour guide picked us up at around 6:45pm, the restaurant cum opera house was situated on the same venue. Tonight were having a “yum cha”, their dumplings were presented more delicately than the ones we have in Melbourne although ours taste better.
…first off, let me commend our very able tour guide Adonis for always picking the best seats in the house. He is my favorite guide on this tour, and no, not because he is the only male guide that we have in china but because he knows how to take care of his clients. He actually did the same thing during lunch, he wouldn’t let us take the table located outside the restaurant(it was too crowded), instead he insisted that my sis and i be seated inside. Anyway, about the dumplings, they first served us this large plate of assorted dumplings in odd shapes like a fish, or bird etc, you know like those on display in fancy Chinese restos. Well, we thought that plate was it, little did we know that they were just getting started. Plate after plate, it started coming until I just couldn’t eat another one of those. I swear, I wouldn’t go near one for months, I think I had an overdose of dumplings and chinese food on that trip.


We’ve met up with an Australian couple from Perth who has been traveling Japan and China, so we had an interesting conversation with them. the show was very nice, beautiful costumes and wonderful performances.
…Adonis approached us after dinner to ask if we mind sharing the table. The house was full and apparently this couple are clients of a colleague and they only came for the show, minus the dinner. The wife sat next to my sister and the husband sat next to me. I don’t know what the topic of conversation was across our table but the husband(an engineer) and I talked about a whole range of subject including my … English proficiency! He thought that I was also based in Australia like my sister and when I told him I have never lived anywhere but in the Philippines, I saw his visibly surprised look and his next words were, “ your English is very good” or something like that. Hmmm, was that last comment made because I spoke without an obvious or heavy accent? Should I take that as a compliment or an insult in behalf of my people? If he doesn’t know anything about the Philippines I wouldn’t have questioned where that comment came from BUT, he did tell me that he has been to Legaspi City in the Bicol region and had a chance to work with Filipinos so, go figure. RELAX, I did not bite this guy’s head off, I simply explained to him that in the Philippines we are taught the English language as soon as we enter formal school, a fact that he seems to already know, forget about him …The show was, ahhh, how should I describe it …colorful …graceful …a feast for the senses.


21October2008
XIAN DAY TOUR
This city reminds me of Kyoto in Japan, maybe because both were ancient capital of their respective countries. Less crowded, wide and beautiful trees lined the main streets.

…I think I may have written about this in the Kyoto/Nara leg of my travel blogs. Nara was patterned after this ancient capital of China, then known as Chang’an, now the present day Xian.
First stop is the Ming Dynasty Xian City Wall. Originally built with a moat around to protect the city but now they built a park around the wall. Well preserved, very nice. Photo moments.
…on the night that we arrived in Xian, this ancient City Wall already caught our attention. It was strategically lighted at night and it was obvious to us even then that it is a special place. the oldest and best preserved Chinese city walls.



[::]Construction of the first city wall of Chang'an began in 194 BC and lasted for four years. It is also one of the largest ancient military defensive systems in the world.

...It is massive and I’ll let you see for yourself with these photos that we took… you would have to excuse the pictures though, it was a foggy morning, or was it smog?

Adonis informed us that the Tang Dynasty Museum is under repair so instead, he took us to a carpet factory. I would have loved to buy a silk carpet(takes 3 yrs to make by hand), ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL but way too expensive.

Next stop, Wild Goose Pagoda temple. Still currently being used by monks. Not as impressive as their Japanese counterpart. This one is made out of stone instead of wood.

[::]the Big Wild Goose Pagoda is a Buddhist temple originally built in 652 during the reign of Emperor Gaozong of the Tang Dynasty (618-907), it functioned to collect Buddhist materials that were taken from India by the hierarch Xuanzang. Externally it looks like a square cone, simple but grand and it is a masterpiece of Buddhist construction. Built of brick, its structure is very firm. Inside the pagoda, stairs twist up so that visitors can climb and overlook the panorama of Xian City from the arch-shaped doors on four sides of each storey. On the walls are engraved fine statues of Buddha by the renowned artist Yan Liben of the Tang Dynasty.


The last stop was The Great Mosque. It looks more like a budhhist temple than a mosque. Must be the Chinese influence. I noticed that only men were there to pray and Adonis explained that women are not allowed inside the mosque, they do their prayers at home. Lots of stalls here, fo finally, I found a “teaspoon” and bought 2 for my collection. Also bought a Chairman Mao bag for Ivy and some tshirts. Back at the hotel by 3pm, good, we have ample time to pack. On the way back, we’ve noticed that there’s a KFC nearby so at 5pm, we walked there and had dinner since my sister is already getting sick and tired of chinese food. We had an early night as we will be checking out at 7am for our flight to Beijing.

[::] The Great Mosque in Xian was first built in the Tang Dynasty (reign of Emperor Xuanzong, 685-762). Unlike most mosques in Middle Eastern or Arab countries, the Great Mosque of Xi'an is completely Chinese in its construction and architectural style, except for some Arabic lettering and decorations, for the mosque has neither domes nor traditional-style minarets.


22October2008
Adonis picked us up from the hotel to take to the airport at 7am as our flight was scheduled for 9am this morning. It is a 1 ½ hr flight from Xian to Beijing. Unlike Joanne, he didn’t leave us until we have actually passed the first check point before boarding. He was an excellent guide.
Highlight: 3wheel cars that can carry 4 people
, i thought the 3wheeled car was in Beijing, i swear i have a photo of one outside The Summer Palace.
…I remember waking up really early and practically opening the breakfast buffet table at the hotel at 6am. We were the only ones there as attested by a photo below taken by my sister, that was me at the congee section of the buffet. as is usually the case in every hotel buffet breakfast on this tour, I was planning on forcing myself to eat something ‘coz im not a breakfast person at all and at times like this, I wish I have a big appetite so that we can at least get our money’s worth, which was never the case on my end. unlike the really yummy filipino congee like “goto” and “pospas”, the authentic chinese version is very plain and you would need to choose from a wide variety of toppings to go with it. My sister and I had a good laugh at some of the toppings ‘coz I swear some looks preeetty exotic, some even look like some sorta, ah …bug, yuck! Haha…

Yes, I would have to agree with my sis about Adonis, he is an excellent guide. Again, we didn’t pose for pictures with him and only got this one. Thank you Adonis {(~.~)}